Hawke's Bay Fish and Game are looking at running a junior pheasant block ballot this year, but... we need your help!!
We ran a fairly successful ballot during the 2010 season with a number of juniors bagging a pheasant or two. We think we can run it far more efficiently though, providing more opportunity and harvesting a higher portion of the birds released, if we have a more suitable block. This is where you come in!
If you have or know someone in the Hawk'es Bay Region who has a block of land that would lend itself to holding pheasants and being hunted by juniors (accompanied by an adult) and are willing to let us use this block, we would love to hear from you!
The block would have, ideally, all or most of the following:
- Ease of access (2wd, bit of walking from vehicle to block is fine)
- Some kind of cover to hold birds (a young (lower than juniors head height) tree block is ideal, we will use feeders to help hold birds in the block also)
- Decent size (100 hectares min)
- Drinking supply for birds (small stream, pond, swamp, farm stock water supply system etc)
- Access for weekend hunting (some/all weekday hunting would also be preferable)
- Manageable terrain (wants to be mangeable for juniors to hunt safely)
- Dog access (hunters will need to use their dogs, so use of these in the block is important)
- A block central to most of Hawkes Bay hunters (we wont get too picky about this though)
- Safety (safety is #1, it needs to be safe for both hunters and anyone else who is near the block)
If you have something that you think might work and are keen to give young hunters the opportunity of bagging their first pheasant, please get in contact with Tom our Fish and Game Officer.
Issues such as liability etc will be covered by hunters all signing a waiver as part of the permit/ballot system.
We are keen to see something develope so are flexible to work in with landowners and the operations they may have running on their properties.
We look forward to hearing from!
Contact Details for Tom: Work- (06) 844 2460 Cell- 021 2746642 Email